ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday recordings of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul on 2 October 2018 have been shared with a number of countries, including the United States.
Until now, the Turkish leader had not confirmed the existence of the recordings, although information had been leaked soon after the disappearance of the Washington Post columnist that Turkish investigators were in possession of recordings.
Erdogan said recordings of the murder were shared with Saudi Arabia, the U.S., Germany, France and the UK.
He reiterated that the actual killer of Khashoggi is known to the 15 or 18 people that were brought in on the day of the Khashoggi ambush at the consulate.
"There is no need to distort this. Certainly, they know among these 15 people that who the killer or killers are, and the Saudi Arabia administration will succeed in revealing things by making the 15 speak," he said, according to a report by the Turkish Anadolu Agency.
Speaking to reporters before he boarded a plane to Paris, the Turkish president said: These 18 people or precisely 15 people certainly know the perpetrator and they know where the body was taken.
"What is this information? I have always said since the beginning, these 15 people who came here [Turkey], with plus three, 18 people are now arrested in Saudi Arabia," he added.
"The murderers are surely among this 15 or 18, there's no need to look elsewhere."
Asked if he would meet with U.S. President Donald Trump, who is also in Paris this weekend, Mr Erdogan said the two might meet if they got the opportunity.
Both leaders are in the French capital to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War I.